Wednesday, September 12, 2018

A Message Received

Written February 28, 2016
Waimea, Kauai


   Walking the beach today, when suddenly an islander begins waving urgently and pointing to the horizon - clearly signaling that she's spotted something. I go down to stand near her and realize she's deaf; nevertheless she's verbally trying to communicate along with hand gestures - pointing to her eyes, then pointing back out to the water. 
I nod, looking to the horizon. Her hand mimics a whale breaching the water over and over. I keep nodding but she's anxious to know that her message has been delivered, so she bends to write "whale" in the sand. We smile together and turn back to watch for a sighting. 
Minutes pass, maybe 3 or 4, and then there it is. Tail slapping the water several times in a row, seemingly playful and showy. In that moment of shared joy, communication is unimpaired, and the gift is given and received. 
Profound grace.


No comments:

Post a Comment