Written December 7, 2016
Today is the 75 anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.
My great-uncle, Joseph Glenn Thorne, was stationed in Hawaii and living at Schofield Barracks at the time of the attack. I never knew him well enough to feel comfortable asking him to recount any memories. And I doubt he would have shared much even if I would have.
His sister - my grandmother - always said that it changed him permanently, and of course, how could it not? Whatever he saw and experienced that day and during the rest of his Pacific Theater tour of duty was too painful for him to recount.
Today is the 75 anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.
My great-uncle, Joseph Glenn Thorne, was stationed in Hawaii and living at Schofield Barracks at the time of the attack. I never knew him well enough to feel comfortable asking him to recount any memories. And I doubt he would have shared much even if I would have.
His sister - my grandmother - always said that it changed him permanently, and of course, how could it not? Whatever he saw and experienced that day and during the rest of his Pacific Theater tour of duty was too painful for him to recount.
My sister Giselle has precious treasures that were passed down to her as the eldest grandchild (he had no children of his own): letters that he and my grandmother wrote to each other, with details scarce about his whereabouts and duties, but emotions profound and poignant; carefully preserved money from the Philippines and other islands where the US military engaged with the enemy; and a beautifully decorated napkin menu from the Thanksgiving dinner a few weeks before the attack.
Even in that menu, the poignancy of being stationed so far from home (especially during the holidays) was apparent - how special and cared for the Army tried to make them feel with that meal.
I'd give anything to be able to talk to my great-uncle today. If only to say hey. If only to say thanks.

No comments:
Post a Comment