Written January 29, 2016
Tomorrow is my big sister’s birthday and though it’s a little early, I’ve been thinking of her all morning.
When I was small, she was part sister, part second mother. As the first born, she was our reliable rock, and often guided Cecily and me through turbulent waters. Since we don’t get to choose our birth order, I’m sure it wasn’t always fun being the responsible, conscientious role model. But if she was ever troubled or burdened by it, she never let on.
She did, however, give me a fair amount of feedback about how spoiled the baby in the family was! And rightly so.
On Sundays, she braided my hair and helped me dress for church. Sometimes the dresses I wore were those she had sewn for me. I have no doubt she helped me learn to read, though I have no memory of it. I have no doubt she helped me learn a million little things. And though I don’t recall the details, I just know she was always there, and the world was a safer place because she was in it.
Thanks for helping me blow out the candles on my cake. Thanks for being that rock. Thanks for living a life of great faith and good works. “Thanks” is too meager a word for how great a gift you’ve been to me and to our family.
Happy Birthday from your little toughie. Love you!

No comments:
Post a Comment